- South St. Paul Secondary
- Secondary Homepage
National Honor Society Application Information
South St. Paul High School was issued a charter to the National Honor Society in 1970. As the name implies; it is a nation-wide organization and has membership of over 15,000 Chapters. When the National Honor Society was founded in 1921, the hope was to create an organization that would recognize and encourage academic achievement while developing other characteristics essential to citizens in a democracy. These ideals of scholarship, character, service, and leadership remain as relevant today as they were in 1921. Now, over 80 years later, the National Honor Society has established a reputation of excellence among administrators, faculty members, students, parents and residents of the school community. This reputation is the result of years of commitment on the part of everyone involved. Membership into the National Honor Society is both an honor and a commitment.
National Honor Society was founded on the concept of the total education and development of students in secondary schools. It does not solely recognize one area of ability, instead it recognizes students who achieve and demonstrate the highest qualities in academics, leadership, and character. Being selected for membership is indeed an honor. National Honor Society members will be called upon throughout the school year for service projects that will benefit both our school and community.
2018-2019 School Year NHS Application Information
In order to apply for the National Honor Society, the following criteria must be met:
- Must be a junior or senior with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
- No chemical/conduct violations
- Must be of good character
Documentation for criteria items 4 through 6 must be submitted in a folder to Mrs. Price in the high school office by 2:45 PM on Friday, March 1, 2019.
- 50 hours of documented community service during the school year, which does include the summer prior to the start of the school year.
- Approximately one page typed paper documenting prior and present leadership responsibilities.
- Three letters of recommendation from non-family members that attest to your character. One letter must be from a non-school employee.
How Are Members of the National Honor Society Selected?
- All application folders are reviewed and checked for completeness: service hours, leadership documentation, and letters of recommendation.
- Verification of no chemical/conduct violations
- Names are submitted to teaching staff for character reference
Students will be notified by mail of the results of the selection process and new members will be recognized at a NHS Induction Ceremony held during the Academic Honors Breakfast the morning of April 26.
There will be two National Honor Society Presentation Meetings to go over the application and selection process. Students who wish to apply for NHS membership must plan on attending one of the sessions:
Wednesday, January 9th in the Stock Exchange at 7:15 AM or 2:35 PM
Reminder: items 4 through 6 of the criteria list are to be submitted in a folder to Mrs. Price in the High School Office by 2:45 PM on Friday, March 1, 2019. Honoring this deadline is the first step in the selection process. If you have any questions regarding the selection process, please see Mr. Paulson.