- Mostly public domain titles - Great for classics!
- Choose among 42,000 free epub books and kindle books; download them or read them online
Books Should Be Free
- ebooks and audiobooks for free download or read/play on the internet
- Works on iPads
- Through Project Gutenberg and Librivox: mostly classics, few picture books
International Children's Digital Library
- Site is slightly confusing to navigate
- Read online for free
- Works on iPad
- Has books in other languages
The Public Library
Don't forget about the public library! Library cards are free and the barcode gives you access to online material like databases and eBooks. They have a much bigger budget than we do, so they can afford more ebooks.
Dakota County Library cardholders have free access to ebook services listed below:
- 3M Cloud Library: eBooks that can be read on your computer or mobile device. A variety of popular titles are available.
- OverDrive eBooks: A collection of popular titles that can be transferred to portable devices. Supports all major e-readers, including the Kindle (video tutorial)
- EBSCO eBooks: A collection of mostly non-fiction titles that can be transferred to a portable device
- TumbleBooks: A collection of animated, talking picture books that also includes puzzles, games, audiobooks and language learning.