Safe Routes in Your Neighborhood
Enjoy getting outdoors and moving your body by walking or biking in your neighborhood. When developing your route, Google Maps has a feature to provide routes which are safe for walking and biking.
Tip: Try to select roads which are pedestrian friendly, including low traffic and routes which are interconnected to parks, trails, sidewalks and pathways.
Pedestrian Safety Instruction
Take the time during your family walk to teach your children pedestrian safety. Here are some resources to help:
- Teaching Children to Walk Safely as They Grow and Develop (National SRTS)
- Video - Willie Whistle Teaches Crossing Streets Safely
- Video - Let’s Go Walking
Family Bike Rides
Dakota County offers a growing number of miles of regional trails for people who enjoy biking - click here to view trails.
Take the time during your family walk to teach your children bicycle safety. Here are some resources to help:
- Guide—Helping your child be a safe bicyclist
- Guide—Ayudando a su hijo a ser un ciclista seguro
- Video Bike Safety—elementary and middle school
- Video Bike Safety—high school, English
- Video Bike Safety—high school, Spanish
- Video—ABC Quick Check
- Wordless—Rules of the Road
- Wordless—Helmet Fit
- Wordless—Bike Riding Safety