Substitute Information

  • Thank you for your interest in subbing for South St. Paul Schools!


    Current Minnesota Short-Call Substitute license issued by the Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB). To qualify for a Short-Call Substitute license, candidates must hold the minimum of a bachelor’s degree from a college or university in the United States or PELSB approved credential outside the United States.

    Visit to learn more about PELSB. For more information on how to apply for a license, call 651-539-4200 or email

    How to apply

    Beginning with the 2019-20 school year, South St. Paul Schools is partnering with Teachers On Call to fill our building substitute teacher and special education paraprofessional positions. Please visit > Apply Now to complete an online application for employment, or don't hesitate to contact TOC directly at 1-800-713-4439 with questions or for more information.  

    If you are already employed by Teachers On Call in a surrounding district, please contact them for access to South St. Paul Schools. You need not reapply.  

    Why be a substitute teacher

    It gives you the opportunity to work with children of various ages, flexible schedule and making a positive difference in the lives of our youth!