Identification for Language Instruction Educational Program (LIEP):
Identification of English Language services is a two step process:
1. Minnesota Language Survey (MNLS)
When any new family registers in South St. Paul Public Schools they are required to complete the Minnesota Language Survey. The MNLS asks parents to provide information related to their student’s language use:
- The language(s) your student first learned.
- The language(s) your student speaks.
- The language(s) your student understands.
- The language(s) your student has consistent interaction with.
2. If any language other than English is indicated on the MNLS, than the child will be screened for EL services. Students must be screened and identified as English language learners in no more than 30 days from the beginning of the school year and within 10 business days from enrollment in South St. Paul Public Schools.