School Counseling Program
The role of the school counselor is to help every student thrive academically, emotionally, and socially. In partnership with students, staff, family, and other members of the community, the school counselor strives to prepare students to become effective learners, achieve success in school, live successful and rewarding lives, and develop into contributing members of our society. The goal is that each and every student builds the skills they need to be successful in the classroom and beyond.
What does an elementary school counselor do?
- Individual student meetings
- Runs small groups
- Conducts classroom guidance lessons each month
- Support for students who are having a rough day or are feeling sad
- Teacher consultation and collaboration
- Crisis intervention
- Conflict resolution
- Help students develop a positive attitude toward school and learning
- Improve student communication skills and develop effective decision-making strategies
Meet Our School Counselor
Heather Gysbers - Grades K-5 School Counselor